Friday, March 4, 2016

Preparing for Kona Swim Camp



Next week, March 7 - 12, I will be attending a swim camp put on by the good folks at Total Immersion Swimming. TI holds a lot of smaller sessions across the nation, but this is the only way for residents of Hawaii to get a real TI experience without flying to the mainland. Viewed from that perspective it is a much better deal. Besides, spending an entire week focused on swimming without the distractions of work and everyday life allows for maximum skills improvement.

I will be taking my bike and running gear, but the swim schedule is pretty full. I hope to get in one good, long ride along the Queen K. just to get a feel for it. I may even rent a car to drive up to Hapuna Beach and ride out to Hawi, basically covering the race route. I will investigate transportation options once I am there.

I have promised myself I will keep a daily journal. Otherwise I'll forget 90% of what we did! I will try for some pics and videos but not if it becomes a distraction -- I am there to participate, not just document. No better inspiration than to promise to post updates here, so look for a series of posts from Kona next week.

Here is the itinerary. The Saturday swim is optional. My return flight is not until 4:00PM Sunday so I have some options for the long ride.

Monday, March 7th
8:30 AM –Meet for greeting and orientation.
9:00 - 11:00 First swim at the King K beach.
11:00-2:00 – Lunch break
2:00- 3:30 – Drills, Skills, and practice on the beach.
3:30-4:30 – Debrief and Video at the King K

Tuesday, March 8th
9:00 Meet on the beach at the King K
9:00-11:00 – Swim & Debrief
12:00-2:00 – Lunch break
2:00-4:30 - Swim session and debrief

Wednesday, March  9th
9:00 AM - Meet on the beach at the King K
9:00- 11:00 – Swim & Debrief morning swim.
12:00-2:00 – Lunch break
2:00-3:30 - Swim session at the King K beach.
3:30-4:30 – Debrief

Thursday, March 10th
9:00 AM – 2:00 PM– Meet in front of the King K to depart for a swim field trip. We will stop for lunch on our way home from swim.
2:00 -Your afternoon is free to rest or explore!

Friday, March 11th
9:00 AM - Meet on the beach at the King K
9:00-11:00 – Swim & debrief morning swim.
12:00-2:00 – Lunch break
2:00-3:30 – Meet on the beach for swim session.
4:00-4:30 – Debrief

Saturday, March 12th
9:00 AM – Meet on the beach for farewell swim followed by departure.


For the fact checkers out there the pic is not Kona. Can you guess where it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment