Monday, December 31, 2018

Reflecting on 2018



Here we are at the end of another year. I have 2019 planned, at least roughed in, but what about this year? What happened that I can call a success, and what can I learn from? Then there is the big question: Why do I devote so much time the sport of triathlon?

My two big races last year were the same as what I have planned for 2019, Ironman 70.3 Hawaii, and the Honolulu Marathon. I am disappointed in my results for both. So much so that I have not signed up to do either one next year. Yes, I have them on my training plan. In fact, my training plan is built around these two events. But I have not signed up for either one. Hmm.

When I look back over my 2018 training plan the first thing that stands out is how well my effort matched my plan. I know this is a struggle for many athletes. For some the issue is commitment. I train alone, and some of my athlete friends comment on how I am able able to get out there and do my thing, week after week, without any support from a group or a coach. It's true, I do that. So, regardless of how long it takes me to cross the finish line, I can say that I have learned something about commitment.

You can't finish a race unless you make it to the starting line, healthy and ready to compete. In this I consider my year a success. Despite all the activity and crazy goings on, I never got sidelined with overuse injuries and only had a few mild bouts of cold. Over in Jason Fitzgerald's Strength Running group we see post after post about runners who struggle with injuries. Same goes for several of the triathlon groups I follow. A regular program of supervised strength training, yoga, and sensible workout  volume all contributed to an injury free year.

If there is any simple explanation for why I failed to reach my goals this year, it is that my preparation lacked the necessary effort.

My swimming did improve, but not by enough to make a difference. Why? Now putting in enough time in the water. I am not saying I need to practice swimming harder. I am definitely not saying I need to work more with paddles and fins. All it takes is more time spent doing mindful swimming, following the advice of Terry Laughlin.

For Honu, I lacked the stamina required to complete the bike segment in time. Of course this was compounded by my swim, which pushed me as deep as one can be in the time deficit category. To have a successful race I need to get a lot stronger on the bike, stronger in the sense of power and stamina. This begins with spending more time on the bike, but it also means doing more Honu-specific climbing workouts than I did last year. Tantalus, Pineapple Hill, and Kunia Road need to be my regular hangouts. OK, to be realistic, the commute time driving to to the start can make doing these climbs too time consuming, so some of that can be done with well designed turbo trainer sessions.

That brings us to running. I have this craving to become a better runner. And I have. But I still have a long way to go. Will I ever get there? I know my technique has improved greatly this year. My left leg is still my problem child, but I feel progress. As with swimming, the key to making progress is spending more time running. Not hard. Not fast. It is all about volume.

One big change for 2019 is my decision to follow Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 plan. His argument about intensity follows the advice from other coaches, including Joe Friel who I have followed since I began doing triathlon. I am still trying to untangle the Garmin/TrainingPeaks zone setting issue -- would you believe the Edge 520 only has five zones while the FR 935 has seven? -- but I have more than a month to sort it out.

In case it isn't obvious, I love the theory behind training, I love the planning, and I love getting out and doing the work. Each aspect of the activity is satisfying in its own way. But those reasons alone are not enough to explain what motivates me. Why do I do all this stuff?

Because I can. Or, to be more specific, because I still can.

Hardly a day passes that I fail to pause and appreciate how lucky I am to be able to do all this crazy stuff. Everywhere I go I am surrounded by people who do not attempt anything like it. When I meet people and reveal what I do, they act as though I am some kind of superman. It doesn't matter to them that I am a back-of-the-packer, and it shouldn't matter to me, either.

Sadly, some old friends of mine no longer have the option of doing this crazy stuff. One that hit close to home was the recent loss of Dennis Kam, only a few years older than me, a mentor who helped me get to the University of Illinois and a degree in composition. I was very fortunate to spend several years working with him here in Honolulu in the 70's. At UI we spent countless hours with John Van der Slice discussing music and life over pizza and beer. He always had a pipe going and would punctuate his comments waving the stem like a conductor's baton.

I just had my annual physical and am as healthy as a horse. My doctor's advice: "Just keep doing what you're doing." I plan on doing just that. Only better.

No comments:

Post a Comment