Sunday, December 16, 2018

Garmin frustration



My first heart rate monitor was a Polar.  I was inspired watching Lance Armstrong winning at the Tour de France. Eventually the big red start/stop button fell off, so I bought a Timex on sale but still was not willing to spend enough to get the top of the line model with GPS. If I wanted to know where I went I could use my phone as a GPS and upload the data to MapMyRide, who advertised heavily during the Tour. Eventually my frustration with the lack of data integration led me to buy a Garmin Edge 810.  When I started running I wanted the same data integration, saw a Garmin FR 610 on sale and grabbed it. Then I started swimming and picked up a Garmin Swim. Then I got serious about triathlon and picked up a Fenix 2, which combined the swim function with the bike and run functions, all in one good looking package. Eventually Garmin came out with a lot of new features, especially ConnectIQ, that were not compatible with my old gear, so I upgraded to an Edge 520 for the bike and an FR 935 for running and swimming.

As you can see, I have some experience with Garmins. Before I go on, let me make it clear that I love my Garmins. Their website Garmin Connect is pretty cool, too. In fact, it gives me more visual feedback for swim and run workouts than TrainingPeaks. My main go-to site remains TrainingPeaks, because of the deeper data analysis, the Annual Training Plan, TSS tracking; it is just a great resource. When I want to make a deep dive I use WKO4, but, to be honest, I have not invested the time required to really learn to get the most out of all those charts.

As much as I love Garmin, I have a complaint. Two issues, separate but related. Honestly, I feel conflicted saying this. Sort of like when you finally meet someone you feel comfortable with, except for a couple of quirks that you find really irritating. You don't want to ruin the relationship so you don't say anything, try to ignore it, look for a way to avoid it. Finally, despite all your best efforts, you have to say something.

My frustration is with the way my FR 935 displays structured workouts. It works as expected when the workout is based on heart rate, whereas the pace and power modes are broken and useless. Before I get into the details, let me say up front that I have contacted Garmin about these issues. As always they were prompt to respond and sympathetic. In other cases they have offered a solution, usually the slap me on the head, why didn't I think of that kind. In this case, Garmin does not consider what I describe as a flaw, or bug. They suggested I make a feature request. I did, and for that I received no feedback. So, here we are.

For cycling power I use Garmin Vector. I have the original model, which cost a small fortune compared to today's prices. I had plenty of growing pains, and through the rough spots Garmin bent over backwards to be helpful. Naturally they integrate beautifully with my Edge 520 head unit as well as the FR 935.

For running Power I use Stryd, arguably the leading and best power solution for runners. Not long ago, Garmin came out with their own running power product, but from what I can tell it integrates just as poorly as the Stryd. For the same reason, they both use ConnectIQ.

When I follow a structured workout based on power for the bike, my Edge 510 displays current power as a number and as an analog meter, with a scale marked red - green - red to indicate at a glace where I am in the target range. Keep the needle centered and all is well.

When I follow a structured workout based on heart rate for running, my FR 935 displays data the same way, a digital display of current heart rate and an analog scale marked red - green -red. The scale displays current heart rate as above or below target. If your target range was 120 - 140 BPM and you are running at 130, the needle will be dead center.

My recollection is that running workouts on the FR 935 were handled a little differently. The scale indicated current pace, whereas the digital display indicated average pace for that lap (a.k.a. step, a.k.a. rep). I guess some runners prefer this but I don't see the reason for making the pace display different than heart rate. I mean, if the workout asks for 4 x 800 at 10:30 min/mi and you look down and see that after your first 400 your average pace is 9:00, would your really slow down enough on the second 400 to bring your average down to 10:30? That sounds ridiculous to me. Run the second 400 at 10:30. I would prefer both displays - heart rate and pace - work the same way, a digital and analog representation of current effort.

But, wait a second. That is not the way Gamin works now. Earlier this year a bunch of people noticed the change. Now, the analog scale also reads lap average pace. This is so incredibly stupid I lack words to express myself. It is useless. Using the same example, I might inadvertently start to slow down near the end of my first 400, but my Garmin will not respond. Not soon enough. I could slow to a walk and see little change. When I finally realize I have slowed down there is no way to know when I am back at 10:30. That is because the only feedback I am getting is average pace. What brain dead engineer thought this was useful?



As bad as the situation is with pace based workouts, it is far worse for power based workouts. Garmin devotes an Ant+ channel for bike power, but not for run power. The idea was to use their new ConnectIQ technology instead. Except my FR 935 will not display a ConnectIQ field in the workout screen. In fact, you cannot configure the workout screen at all! Training Peaks will let you design a run workout based on power, and the FR 935 will load it, but the main field where power should be displayed in empty. It looks to me like it is reading the bike power channel, the clue being the side view of a bicycle crank and pedals Garmin uses as an icon to signify power.

In the picture above, my FR 935 in power based run structured workout mode, the upper field is the power field. It always looks like this, even while I am running. I do have the Stryd ConnectIQ field enabled on a different screen, so power data is displayed there and recorded. In this picture I am not running, so "StepPace" is empty. Normally this displays correctly. Hmm, is it current pace or lap average? I do not know.

Sure I can design another screen to display power. The Stryd ConnectIQ field only displays watts. No zone indication. Not because Stryd is lazy. There is no simple way to make the athlete's individual zone range settings available to the ConnectIQ, even at the PC settings level. Besides, what I like about the original UI concept was the red - green - red analog scale. I don't need to remember my target in watts, just center the needle. If the needle is off to the right, I am working too hard. Simple.

There is more. The workout screen shows time remaining, or distance if the workout was specified that way. In my earlier example, the display begins at 800 and counts down to zero as the yards pass by. Since that screen is useless and I am forced to use my own, I should be able to have my own time or distance remaining. There is no such choice. I can add a lap distance field that will start at zero and roll up to 800, but then I have to remember how long each rep is. In the picture, 9:34 is time remaining, counting down to zero.

What I end up doing is running the first rep without power display, going by feel, to get a sense of how long the rep lasts and where I will be when it ends. After that I switch to my screen that shows pace and power.

Is it clear by now how messed up this is? I get the feeling that the engineering team that designed the FR family software never consulted real athletes. That, or the team never actually used the software themselves.

In summary, what I want for the run structured workout screen ...


  • For pace based workouts, display current pace on both the digital and analog displays. Same as the heart rate display does.
  • For power based workouts, display current power on both the digital and analog displays. Same as is done for bike power based workouts.


While I have your attention, how about making the structured workout screens user configurable? Let me chose between lap average pace and current pace. Maybe I really want to see cadence. Or altitude. Let me decide.

OK, there is always room for more. How about opening up the swim structured workouts so that I can get those on my watch, too? I know, I know, real swimmers don't wear watches. Real swimmers do masters workouts and get instructions shouted at them from their coach on deck. I swim alone, and the half Ironman plan I purchased specs swims in downloadable format. There just is no way to download them to my FR 935.

Think about it. The training plan I purchased is beautifully specified in the utmost detail. Swim workouts are specified by pace, but cannot be downloaded to my Garmin. Run workouts are specified by power, but my Garmin cannot display the information as intended. The bike workouts are also specified by power, and those work as intended. What a mess!

I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment