Friday, June 11, 2021

The rush to race



 In just the last couple of months I have seen a surge of races and the desire to race, no doubt an expression of a year’s worth of frustration. As vaccination rates move past 50% racing becomes viable, aided by the fact that we do it all outdoors and without bleachers packed with drunk, cheering fans.

This is having a direct impact on Hawaii. Specifically, Ironman 70.3 Hawaii, a.k.a. Honu. Registration for the 2022 race opened even before this year’s race. For some reason the Ironman organization thought people needed encouragement so they threw in a free hat. I don’t think the hat was necessary, as Tier I closed soon after this year’s race ended and Tier II is almost full. 


In the past I would wait until late in the year to make plans for the following year. The last time I did Honu in 2019 (see pic above) I must have waited until maybe March to decide. When I saw a note a few days ago that Tier II was almost full I decided I had better act now, so I fought my way through the complex sign-up process and got a spot. But no hat.


If you have any thought of doing Honu next year, act now or you may not get the chance. If you think you could do better with a coach, drop me a line at windsofhawi@gmail.com. I specialize in senior athletes and am happy to provide whatever level of support you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment