Tuesday, March 26, 2019

New Shoes, Active88 from Danny Abshire



When I took up running my wife was already a runner, and since she recommended I start out with Saucony I did just that. I do not recall the model, only that they had thick, high, well cushioned heels that allowed me to run using my walking gait, complete with massive heel striking. Lucky for me my masseuse / trainer at that time, Sonya Weiser Souza, switched me to Newton shoes and taught me how to run without heel striking. The change took the better part of a year and resulted in my best race times ever.

When I got started with Newton Running Danny Abshire, one of the founders, was very active in the company and their on-line presence. They put out a bunch of videos that expanded on the ideas put forth in Danny's book, "Natural Running." Running Form Friday. I found the lessons extremely valuable, but I also recall feeling frustrated because each video only ran for a couple of minutes. I felt as though I was trying to satisfy a raging thirst by drinking one teaspoon at a time. 

Last year I discovered things had changed. Danny had not been active at Newton for quite some time, and the shoes were not as popular has they once were. My last pair of shoes did not fit as well as previous editions and made a mess of my toenails during the Honolulu Marathon.



Then came the good news. Danny had gone back into the shoe business, operating as a sideline to his long established orthotics business in Boulder. I wrote to ask about sizing and got a reply from the man himself. Let's see Nike do that! I knew I needed better shoes for Honu, and in a few weeks the Hapalua half marathon will be the perfect chance to try something new. So I got myself a pair. They are called Active88; not sure if that is a brand or a model. But it doesn't matter, because I love these shoes.



The very first impression they make is how light they are. Like, almost zero weight. Then there is the soft comfort, like a pair of well worn comfy slippers. There is a little stiffness under the heel and toes, but in between, the mid-foot, feels like air. Only there is support there. I did some short runs and some walking to let my feet get used to them. This morning I did my first real run in them and they were fine. No pains, no hot spots, no anything bad. Just really great shoes.

Highly recommended.I can't wait to see what Danny comes up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment